Jackson River Technical Center
Biennial Plan 2009-2010
The biennial plan of Jackson River Technical Center is a plan to help the administration and school staff of Jackson River Technical Center to move in a positive direction over the next five years.† The plan will be evaluated and adjusted as necessary to insure the positive direction of the school.† Jackson River Technical Center will use data already supplied to the Virginia Department of Education, and feedback from its advisory groups as a yardstick in measuring its progress in meeting the following goals and objectives.
Goal #1:††††††††††††††† Improve the communityís awareness of the programs at JRTC
1. Recreate the JRTC web site to include updated information about the Center and programs that are offered.†
2. Develop strategies that enable the Center to reach children at earlier grade levels.
3. Develop flyers/brochures for each program.
4. Develop a video of JRTC and the programs that are offered.
5. Visit local businesses and industries to determine if the Centerís programs of instruction are meeting their needs.
6. Utilize the media to advertise and showcase the programs and activities that are offered at JRTC.
7. Host more events at JRTC to gain the communityís awareness.
8. Schedule planned open houses to showcase activities that students are doing.
Goal #2:††††††††††††††† Improve coordination and cooperation with the schools and business community
1. Work closely with the high school guidance counselors, career coaches and fully educate them about JRTC programs and CTE career opportunities.
2. Work together with the community college to ensure that the programs offered by both schools provide a seamless transition for students.†
3. Improve communication with the special education staffs at the high schools.
4. Improve communication between the high schools and JRTC.
5. Work with employers to develop programs or classes that meet their needs.
Goal #3:††††††††††††††† Increase adult education programs and enrollment
1. Communicate with employers to determine what their needs are.
2. Work with the economic development corporation to determine which skills are needed.
3. Communicate with the public about what classes they would be interested in taking if they were offered.
4. Design an advertising program to promote the adult education program.
5. Offer a wide variety of technical and enrichment programs both in subject and length of course/workshop.
6. Communicate with the VEC and similar organization to gain information of the needs in the community.
Goal #4:††††††††††††††† Develop a workforce for 21st century jobs
1. Keep up with the changing standards in the fields of study.
2. Assess and update equipment as needed.
3. Assess and update JRTC technology infrastructure as needed.
4. Improve the internet capabilities of JRTC.
5. Research and develop new pertinent programs that will prepare students to become part of the 21st century workforce.
6. Offer more professional development/workshops to teachers.
Goal #5:††††††††††††††† Improve studentís workplace readiness skills and motivation of students
1. Review the programs currently offered at JRTC to ensure that workplace readiness skills are highlighted in the curriculum.
2. Reward students who display superior workplace readiness skills.
3. Hold students accountable for their failure to maintain acceptable workplace readiness standards.
4. Create center-wide assemblies that honor students who display superior workplace readiness skills, in order to be recognized by their peers.
5. Create a center-wide career fair that involves local businesses representing the Centerís programs of study so that business leaders can reinforce the ideals of superior workplace readiness skills.
6. Bring in motivational speakers who specialize in teenage motivation.
7. Have potential employers talk with students about what it takes to get a job and to keep a job in the field they are studying.